Friday, August 29, 2014

One Good Folder



I'm organizing my office, finally. And part of that is finally, finally addressing the monstrous file folder of tests, procedures and sad outcomes that make up my infertility/miscarriage medical records. The folder was brimming over, and every time I used the drawer I would have to curse, because the papers would hang out and create problems when I tried to close it. So I'm sitting here organizing everything into categories of misery.

But for one. There's one new folder, now exclusively devoted to H's pregnancy, and even though that pregnancy had its own baggage, it makes me happy. In it, there's this photo. One of the embryos here is my H, the most hard-fought win I've ever achieved. My best work. We can all take an educated guess at which one he is, which one looks classically as if it would have stuck. But then again, we all know that in this game, surprises are everywhere.

One of those embryos is my H. I've had a rough week, been feeling emotional about the loss, feeling uncharacteristically whiny. And you know, no matter what people say about infertiles just needing to appreciate what we have, it's really ok to whine when you've lost a baby. Whether it's your first or fourth. Whether it was easy to conceive or not. But in the end, no matter what happens, this photo, this result, this family I have -- it's all that matters. Don't let me forget that, okay?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't even have a folder. Just piles of paper lying around.
Needless to say, it is totally ok to miss the baby (or babies) you didn't get to take home. That in no way means you don't appreciate the one you have. I suppose people don't want to try and relate to the depths of pain such a loss adds.

Heather said...

I agree. Whine away! I don't have a folder. I do have electronic pics of our embryos. I miss the three babies I've lost and I always will.

 
design by suckmylolly.com