Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Taking Care of Me

When you're after a baby and circumstances make that difficult, it's pretty common to let yourself go a bit.

I finally woke up to the reality I'm sure everyone else could see: the weight I was holding on to was much more than pregnancy weight. It was the weight of thousands of tears, of seeking small comfort in sugar, carbs and wine. It suddenly dawned on me that I was holding myself back with this pattern of instant gratification. And I stopped doing it, cold turkey.

I don't think I've had a bite of refined carb in two weeks. I'm still allowing myself wine in moderation on weekends and the occasional special event during the week. And I feel fantastic. I'm noticeably thinner and have more energy, and my skin breakouts (another topic for another day) have cleared considerably.

Before H, sticking with a PCOS-friendly (low carb/sugar) diet was a way for me to feel in control and stay healthy as I tried to conceive. I slipped after he was born, then started conceiving naturally -- so I guess it registered that maybe it was unnecessary. Then came the miscarriages and the medicating with food. But it's a new day. My body is mine again, and I need to take care of it.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

My skin is out of control horrible right now. I really should try to lay off the carbs cold turkey. I've cut back and am eating more greens,but im so sick of the teenage looking breakouts. But good for you for taking care of you. I say a clothing shopping trip is around the corner as a reward.

Heather said...

Congratulations! Take back your body. Let me know if you want to talk about anything exercise related. That's the next step, you know... take back the body that has frustrated us over time. It's great to feel strong!

 
design by suckmylolly.com